Would You Like To Change A Life?
Would You Like To Be An Academic Mentor?
The A+ Angels Mentoring Program is an important way in which East High School is addressing the achievement gap and helping struggling students. The program currently has more than 70 pairs of East High School students and adult mentors, each meeting about once a week. Mentors help the students adjust to high school by aiding them with their schedules, helping them with homework, working with them on study skills, fostering good attendance and study habits, and providing encouragement and accountability. Mentors also help their students obtain summer jobs and prepare college applications. All mentors, as well as the coordinators of the program, are volunteers and most work full time in jobs unrelated to education.
- Attend a training program at the beginning of the school year;
- Meet with their students once per week during an early morning study hall (convenient for those who work).
- May attend monthly evening training and support meetings;
- Meet with their mentors once per week;
- Work hard and try their best.
East High School:
- Provides excellent access for mentors and mentees to counselors, tutors, administrative staff, and other support;
- Encourages teachers to work with their students’ mentors to achieve academic success.
The A+ Angels Mentoring Program has had great success during the past seven years, and is working on helping even more students!
Contact: Amiee Arens 720-423-8449
Send email to Amiee_Arens@dpsk12.org