We hope that you and your family are healthy and have enjoyed some relaxing and meaningful moments together through this summer and we are absolutely thrilled that you are joining our amazing Denver East community this August. We can hardly wait to get to know you!
You are likely aware that DPS Superintendent Susana Cordova has directed the school district to change the start date of the school year (now Monday, August 24), and to provide a remote learning context beginning August 24th, with a hopeful transition to hybrid learning on September 8th.
Because of this change, we are postponing the beginning of our 9th Grade Academy. At the same time, we have made some changes to the program so that we are able to make valuable connections with our new Angels as we progress toward in-person learning in September. The changes that we are making to the program will allow every student to experience:
- A video welcome into Remote Learning at East- to be released the week of August 17th
- Weekly on-line interaction in small groups with “Link Leaders” (Junior and Senior Leaders), who have been trained to support your student’s entry into the Land of the Angels
- Priority entry of “freshman only” into In-person Hybrid Learning beginning the week of September 8th (facilitated by Denver East staff members and our Link Leaders)
With the adaptations we have made to this program, we know that the 9th Grade Academy experience will continue to ensure that your Angel will:
- Be effectively supported into and through remote, hybrid and in-person learning structures
- Meet teachers and students that are looking forward to meeting them and want to make certain they have a successful transition into high school
- Learn about graduation requirements, academic supports that are available, and how to advocate for themselves as a student
- Meet other freshmen at Denver East and begin to develop friendships that will last through their experience as an Angel
- Gain an understanding of our school building, where classrooms are, and how we work through each day with success
- Receive a small backpack full of school materials, morning snacks, and their first Denver East t-shirt
While we are disappointed that we will not be greeting your student at the front door of our school building in August, we are really excited to be able to extend this 9th Grade Academy onboarding experience over the course of the next several weeks. We are confident that, with this support, your young person will be prepared for an excellent entry into our school experience and into the Denver East community. Later this week you will receive another note from me that will be sent to all Denver East parents. This message will provide additional information and updates related to the beginning of our school year.
As always, feel free to call or email firstname.lastname@example.org directly with questions or ideas that you have.
Looking forward to a great school year together!
John Youngquist, Principal
Eric Sinclair, Dean of Students