To assist in the transition from middle school to having a successful high school experience, Denver East High School will be hosting our Ninth Grade Academy, August 3rd through August 6th, for incoming students. This exciting, fun, and informative program will last four days and all of our incoming ninth-grade students are invited and encouraged to attend.
We are excited about the number of students who have already registered for this year’s Ninth Grade Academy at Denver East! If you have already registered you do not need to resubmit the registration form. However, you can confirm your registration by sending an email to email@example.com.
During the Ninth Grade Academy, students will:
- Gain an understanding of our school building, where classrooms are, and how we work through each day with success
- Meet teachers and students that are looking forward to meeting them and want to make certain they have a successful transition into high school
- Learn about graduation requirements, academic supports that are available to them and how to advocate for themselves as a student
- Meet other freshmen Angels and begin to develop relationships that will last through their high school experience and likely beyond
- Earn 2.5 elective credits for completing all requirements of Ninth Grade Academy (simply done by attending, participating, and completion of assignments)
- Receive a small backpack full of school materials, morning snacks, bus tickets if needed, and their first East Angels tee-shirt
We know that this year will be a unique one as we enter the new school year together. As you likely know, DPS Superintendent Cordova has communicated that “schools will be open for full, in-person instruction in August instead of a hybrid model.”
While we will be preparing for a full-school opening for 2020 as directed, we also understand that we are not completely certain what the “COVID-19” context will bring us in August. Because of this reality, we have prepared multiple plans for our 9th Grade Academy. These plans will provide for either:
- Four mornings at East High School
- Two mornings at East High School
- A remote/online-only learning context
If we are able to have students at the school building for this experience, know that we will be following CDHE and DPS protocols for healthy and safe school interaction, including:
- Monitoring for health status upon entry
- Masks will be required for all students and adults present
- Socially distancing practices will be enforced
- Students will remain in cohorts for entry, facilitation, and exit, experiencing limited or interaction with other cohorts of students
- Non-essential visitors will not be allowed to enter the school building or be present on campus
Students should plan on being available for each of the four scheduled mornings. For any amount of time that students are unable to be present at the school, we will have remote learning and online activities for students to experience and complete.
Knowing that we will have a much better understanding of the “COVID-19” context for August after a few more weeks have passed, we plan on communicating the exact schedule that will be used for 9th Grade Academy during the week of July 20th.
Schedule for the East High School Ninth Grade Academy:
- Dates: Monday, August 3rd – Thursday, August 6th, 2020
- Time: 8:00 am – 12:00 pm
- Location: East High School and/or online
Just an FYI that in July you will receive a survey from DPS related to computer and internet access. This survey will help us understand the needs that students have and will help us prepare well both for 9th Grade Academy and the school year.
This will be the twelfth year of the Ninth Grade Academy tradition at Denver East High School and we know that it makes a big difference for our Angels. Our ongoing evaluation of the program consistently shows that participating students have a stronger connection to their high school and with their peers, they engage more quickly with their academic efforts and are more likely to graduate from high school in four years. We strongly encourage you to take advantage of this unique opportunity.
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call the DPS 9th Grade Academy Hotline at 720-424-8277.