As you may have already heard, we are looking forward to hosting an in-person 9th Grade Academy for students that are scheduled to be in our Hybrid In-Person schedule during 2nd Quarter and for students who are scheduled for the 100% Virtual school schedule we are providing an Asynchronous Virtual 9th Grade Academy experience.
We will be facilitating half-day sessions of 9th Grade Academy to take place on Wednesday, October 21st, and Friday, October 30th. Students who participate in both of these scheduled days will receive 2.5 class credits toward graduation.
For each day of 9th Grade Academy, students will follow their current “a.m.” or “p.m.” synchronous assignments.
- Students with last names starting A-Leu will attend 8:00-11:05 a.m.
- Students with last names starting Lev-Z will attend 12:25-3:30 p.m.
No other students will be at the school during these days and students must leave if their cohort is not in session.
The following health and safety structures and requirements will be in place for the In-Person 9th Grade Academy:
- Every student’s parent or guardian is required to complete the “SafeAccess” health screening every day, prior to entering our school grounds. Completion is reviewed and confirmed by school personnel at the beginning of every session. The link to the SafeAccess student site is: east.dpsk12.org/safeaccess
- Students will enter the building through assigned doors to limit the number of students who are entering through each door- approximately 240 total students will be attending each session of the In-Person 9th Grade Academy (specific door assignments will be provided next week)
- All students and adults are required to wear masks and follow 6’ social distancing requirements at all times that they are on campus (unless directed otherwise by staff- for example for outdoor snack time)
- It is advised that students bring one extra mask in case one is dropped or lost
- After entering the school building, students will move through one-way hallways directly to their assigned classroom and will be with the same small cohort of students (15 maximum), through the session
- Students may arrive at 7:50 a.m. and must leave the school building and campus immediately after their session has ended
- Our school and our classrooms are well stocked with personal protective equipment and cleaning supplies. Common areas and all classrooms will be cleaned through surface cleaning and through the use of an electrostatic cleaner between each session of 9th Grade Academy
We are looking forward to your Angel experiencing the high-quality content of 9th Grade Academy through the facilitation of our wonderful teachers. The content provided during the sessions will include:
- High school learning strategies in the Hybrid and Virtual context
- Socially distanced activities to get to know other Angels in-person
- How grades, credits, grade point averages, and graduation requirements work and how to advocate for yourself as a learner at East.
- Social media- the advantages and the risks
- An introduction to relationships and conversations related to consent
- Supports for a healthy lifestyle, including resources for the prevention of drug and alcohol use and abuse
- Signs of Suicide training to educate students in regard to suicidal ideation and increase students’ knowledge and adaptive attitudes related to depression
- Social-emotional and physical health-related resources available to all students
- Academic supports that are available to all students
Again, we are looking forward to meeting many of our new Angels in person and learning more about them online through the 9th Grade Academy experience. Remember to be prepared to “mask-up,” stay socially-distanced, and bring a filled water bottle. As a bonus, every student will receive a small backpack full of school materials, morning snacks, and their first East Angel t-shirt! For Freshmen who are in the 100% Virtual option, bag pickup will take place on October 30th from 4:00pm to 4:30pm with more information forthcoming to be provided directly to those students.
Next week, you will receive further communication from us that will provide more detail about arrival and entry door assignments, access to the asynchronous program for 100% Virtual students, as well as a few other details regarding 9th Grade Academy.
As always, feel free to call or email us directly with any questions or ideas that you have.
Looking forward to a great school year together!