Thank you for your patience as we continue to make adjustments along the road of this first semester of high school for your great Angel!
We are now looking forward to inviting our Freshman class to participate in a 9th Grade Academy that will take place over the course of the next four weeks. This experience has been significantly adapted to be responsive to the health and safety interests of our newest Angels. Both “Hybrid In-Person” and “100% Virtual” program students will have access to 9th Grade Academy activities. Students who fully participate in both days, or complete the asynchronous sessions, will receive 2.5 class credits toward graduation.
Students who have selected the “100% Virtual” program will be able to participate in an independent option that will be available to all “100% Virtual” students during their asynchronous time on Monday, November 30th, and Tuesday, December 1st. All resources for the asynchronous program will be available to students on Schoology. More information will be sent ahead of this event!
Students who have selected the “Hybrid In-Person” program are invited to participate in two consecutive half-day sessions to take place between November 9th and December 12th. Each session will be limited to a total of sixty students in the building at one time with each class made up of 12-15 students. With a priority on health and safety, all present just remain masked and socially distanced through the experience. Participating students will not miss any “synchronous” on-line class time with their teachers. Note: Requests for assignment changes will not be approved.
In-Person Hybrid 9th Grade Academy Schedule
|Students Last Name||Date||Time|
|Tor – Z||November 9 & 10||8:00am – 11:05am|
|Hanl – Leu||November 9 & 10||12:25pm – 3:30pm|
|Rot – Top||November 16 & 17||8:00am – 11:05am|
|Egl – Hanf||November 16 & 17||12:25pm – 3:30pm|
|Mulk – Roh||November 30 & December 1||8:00am – 11:05am|
|Chang- Ega||November 30 & December 1||12:25pm – 3:30pm|
|Lev – Mula||December 7 and 8||8:00am – 11:05am|
|A – Chane||December 7 and 8||12:25pm – 3:30pm|
The following health and safety structures and requirements will be in place for the In-Person 9th Grade Academy:
- Every student’s parent or guardian is required to complete the “SafeAccess” health screening every day, prior to entering our school grounds. Completion is reviewed and confirmed by school personnel at the beginning of every session. The link to the SafeAccess student site is: east.dpsk12.org/safeaccess
- Students will enter the building with their assigned group through the front door of the building, at the “E.” Approximately 60 total students will be attending each session of the “In-Person” 9th Grade Academy in classes of 12-15 students
- All students and adults are required to wear masks and follow 6’ social distancing requirements at all times that they are on campus (unless directed otherwise by staff- for example for outdoor snack time)
- It is advised that students bring one extra mask in case one is dropped, damaged, or lost
- After entering the school building, students will move through one-way hallways directly to their assigned classroom and will remain with the same small cohort of students (15 maximum), throughout the session
- Students may arrive ten minutes prior to the start of their class and must leave the school building and campus immediately after their session has ended
- Our school and our classrooms are well stocked with PPE and cleaning supplies. Common areas and all classrooms will be cleaned throughout, as well as surfaces cleaned and with the use of an electrostatic cleaner between each session of 9th Grade Academy
We are looking forward to your Angel experiencing the high-quality content of 9th Grade Academy through the facilitation of our wonderful teachers. The content provided during the sessions will include:
- High school learning strategies in the Hybrid and Virtual context
- How grades, credits, grade point averages, and graduation requirements work and how to advocate for yourself as a learner at East
- Social media- the positives and the pitfalls
- An introduction to relationships and conversations related to consent
- Supports for a healthy lifestyle, including resources for the prevention of drug and alcohol use and abuse
- Signs of Suicide training to educate students in regard to suicidal ideation and increase students’ knowledge and adaptive attitudes related to depression
- Social-emotional and physical health-related resources available to all students
- Academic supports that are available to all students
Again, we are looking forward to meeting so many Angels in person and learning more about them online through the 9th Grade Academy program. Remember to be prepared to “mask-up” and stay socially distanced and bring a filled water bottle. As a bonus, every student will receive a small backpack full of school materials, morning snacks, and their first East Angel t-shirt. “100% Virtual” students will be able to “drive-thru” and pick up their backpacks and t-shirts from 3:00-5:00 pm on Tuesday, December 1st)!
As always, feel free to call or email me directly with questions or ideas that you have.
Dean of Students