Thank you for your ongoing support of East High School. I am writing to share that Mr. John Youngquist has made the decision to resign as the principal of East High School at the end of the 2021-2022 school year. I would like to take this opportunity to publicly thank him for how he continues to tirelessly champion students, teachers and schools — and in particular, his work to make East High School a school of excellence and distinction.
In preparation for Mr. Youngquist’s transition, and to ensure smooth and consistent leadership for East High School, we will be engaging in a selection process to identify a succession principal. This person will work side-by-side with Mr. Youngquist during the 2021-2022 school year. That school leader will then continue on as the sole East High School principal beginning in the 2022-2023 school year.
Selecting a succession Principal is a comprehensive and rigorous hiring process. It involves multiple opportunities for data collection and input on strengths and areas of growth opportunity before a final decision by the superintendent is made. Please know that DPS considers selecting a new principal an essential component of building and sustaining highly-effective schools. We deeply value community partnership in the principal hiring process and will be working collaboratively with the community to select East High School’s next principal.
As the Regional Instructional Superintendent for East High School, I will meet with the Collaborative School Committee (CSC) in January 2021 to discuss the School Principal Selection Process: Succession Principal. Below is an outline for the selection process and the multiple opportunities for community involvement.
- Regional Instructional Superintendent Greta Martinez attends CSC meeting in January 2021.
- Succession Principal position posted (by 12/18/2020)
- Launch School and Community Survey (opportunity to provide input on the characteristics you would like to see in the next principal).
- Virtual Community pre-recorded candidate presentations (link will be provided).
- Community feedback from virtual candidate presentations (opportunity for all members of the East High School community, including staff, parents, and students, to hear from the final candidates about their leadership and vision and to provide feedback about the candidates).
- Interview with Deputy Superintendent Michael Ramirez and Superintendent Dwight Jones (superintendent will make the final decision about who will become the East High School succession principal).
We look forward to engaging with you in the above process once the CSC has had the opportunity to discuss the final process and timeline for the selection of the succession principal for East High School. We are also excited that Principal John Youngquist will be working side-by-side with the succession principal for at least one school year.
Thank you for your support as we work together during this succession principal hiring process.
Regional Instructional Superintendent