Dear East High School Staff, Students, Families and Community,
I have great hope and optimism as we enter into the new 2021 year. We are looking forward to providing
in-person learning for students starting the week of January 19th. In addition, I hope this communication finds
you and your loved ones healthy and safe.
As you know, Principal Youngquist announced before the winter break that the 2021-22 school year will be his
last year at East High School as the Principal. In order to ensure a smooth and consistent leadership transition
at East HS, we will engage in a search process to identify a succession Principal to work side-by-side with Mr.
Youngquist during the 2021-22 school year. We truly appreciate all his years of leadership and are grateful to
him for his invaluable strength, service, and care for the East HS community.
This letter is intended to provide the East community with an update on the DPS selection process for the East
HS succession Principal. DPS currently remains closed for any in-person, large community meetings for the
safety of students, staff and families per health guidelines. The DPS Principal search process has been revised
for the remainder of the year and the revision is grounded in the following guiding principles:
- Opportunity for wide variety of stakeholder feedback
- Easy access for multiple language groups and translations
- Equity of access for school communities despite personal circumstances of time and access to technology
Toward this end, we will be following these DPS steps for the Principal search process in alignment with the guiding principles. The process will include the following:
- CSC virtual meeting to review the search process and give feedback on the principal profile
- Stakeholder survey to generate feedback on the development of a principal profile including characteristics for the new succession principal and questions that may be submitted to the final candidates to address. Stakeholder groups will include CSC, school staff, students, and families.
- DPS Principal pool pre-screening process to determine eligible candidates.
- Pre-recorded candidate presentations in English and Spanish to share their vision for East HS and address questions generated by CSC.
- Stakeholder surveys and call-in opportunities to provide feedback on candidate presentations.
- Superintendent review of stakeholder feedback and virtual interview of candidates
East HS highly values the voices of all our stakeholders. To honor this, we would like to invite staff, students,
parents and community members to submit their feedback for the development of the principal profile/characteristics and questions that will be shared with the East HS CSC to consider in the development
of the final questions for candidates to address in their virtual presentation.
The following link can be used to submit principal characteristics that you would like to see in the succession
Principal and your questions that will help the CSC in the development of the final questions for the eligible
candidates: https://forms.gle/31NeAJwK9dHsaSUY6. You can also call Daisy Garrison-Davis from the
Office of Family & Community Engagement at 720-423-3932 to submit the characteristics and questions for
the succession Principal via phone. Please submit principal characteristics and questions by Tuesday,
January 26th, 2021 at 12 noon.
Lastly, below is the draft timeline of the steps of the process. This is to help you better understand what to
expect as we engage in the succession principal search process.
We would like to reiterate that we know this is difficult for staff, students, and families, and it is disappointing
to not be able to engage in an in-person Principal search process. We also know that this approach ensures
opportunities for stakeholder voices in the process in an equitable manner, given that many are experiencing
multiple challenges and are balancing so much now. We will focus on remaining flexible as we do our best to
push forward, together, on this uncharted path and in ensuring we select the best leader as the succession
principal at East HS beginning in the 2021-2022 school year.
Thank you for your support as we work together during this transitional period. In the meantime, please feel
free to reach out to me with any questions you may have.
Central Regional Instructional Superintendent