Congratulations to Denver East Social Studies Teacher, Matt Fulford, who was recently recognized with the University of Colorado “Ward Public History Prize” for the research work on the history of East that his CU Succeed students did in the tower this year. The recognition is the result of the work he has done with students to research and archive the social history of Denver East students that came before them. Some of the research students were able to do in the archive included: the Keyes case and busing in Denver, the Chicano movement and Denver Public Schools, women in the sciences, and East High and the “City Beautiful” movement. Way to go Mr Fulford and our Angels!
Annual Family Update
The Annual Family Update IS A REQUIRED action that ALL FAMILIES must take for students to have their registration at East confirmed for the 2020-21 school year. You can complete this requirement now, to secure your spot for 2020-21 (this is necessary, even for freshman and other new students who have participated in the choice process).
Families can access the Annual Family Update by logging into their Parent Portal or by using this link: http://schoolchoice.dpsk12.org/enrollment-registration/annual-family-update/
Information for Your Planning: The Final Week of the 2019-20 school year: While we will not have a traditional “ finals week,” the last full week of school this year, May 18-22, will be a full week of the Remote Learning Schedule that you are continuing to follow. The very last opportunity for students to turn in assignments for a grade or credit this semester will be Tuesday, May 26, at 12 noon. Students will have a chance to request “credit” instead of a “grade” during the week of May 26- more details will follow on that process.
Class of 2020
Seniors and Senior Parents- the end of year calendar is being updated constantly… and, keep looking for e-mails from Tee for all updated information- here are a few important dates:
- Classes continue for seniors through May 12th and teachers may require assignments to be due through May 12th.
- Seniors will have an indication of whether they will gain a grade or a no credit for a class on Friday, May 8th
- Seniors may request “credit” instead of a grade by May 13th- process to be communicated
- You have until May 13th to complete all checkout requirements as you head toward graduation!
- We will let you know when we have information about locker cleanout, text or library book, and uniform dropoff- date and process still tbd
- Fees and Fines may be paid NOW and must be paid by 4pm, May 13th via myschoolbucks.com
- Seniors will be sent a link to the Senior Checkout Hub on Monday, May 11th, and all Senior Checkout requirements must be completed by the end of the day on Wednesday, May 13th
Food Security Survey
THRIVE Partners is conducting a survey to understand the changes in household food security and the demand for food assistance programs in the Denver Metro region due to the COVID-19 economic and public health crisis. Data from the survey will be anonymously aggregated at a neighborhood level to better understand emerging trends, critical needs and hot spots in vulnerable communities affected by COVID-19. The survey can be found here: https://thrive-partners.typeform.com/to/m4FA11
Library and Textbooks
Library and textbook drop-off on hold until district direction on date and process for dropoff, locker cleanout, etc- guidance to district provided by the Department of Public Health and Environment.
School-Based Health Centers
School-Based Health Centers are here to care for all DPS students during this time. We are open for both in-person and telehealth appointments (at limited sites) for both new and existing patients. In many cases, patients won’t even need to come into the clinic for their care. For in-person appointments, we are taking every precaution to keep our clinics clean and patient safe. Please see this flyer ( https://east.dpsk12.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/SBHCcovid.pdf) for more information.
Some of the services we provide are:
- Well child checks, immunizations, medication refills
- Answer any non-urgent medical questions
- Individual & Family therapy services
- Reproductive health services
- Assist families with obtaining insurance coverage
Hours: Monday – Friday 7:30am – 4pm
Phone: (303) 602-8958 OR (720) 424-2050
Remember: Our health services are provided at NO COST to all DPS families!