- Monday, Sept. 28:
- No School for Students – Professional/Staff Development
- Deadline for choosing student learning preference via portal.dpsk12.org
- There is no school for students on Monday, Sept. 28
- Tuesday, Sept 29 will be the Monday Bell Schedule, Wednesday will be the Tuesday Bell Schedule, Thursday will use the Thursday Bell Schedule and Friday will use the Friday Bell Schedule
- Oct. 13 – Colorado Free App Day
- Oct. 16 – Last Day of First Quarter
- Oct. 19-20: No School for Students
- Oct. 21 – First Day of Second Quarter
Information about the Q2 options, for either “100% Remote” or the “In-person/hybrid” option are available at https://east.dpsk12.org/news/2020/09/denver-east-2nd-quarter-schedule/. If you are satisfied with the option that you have already chosen during the Annual Family Update, related to In-Person or 100% Virtual School, there is nothing further that you need to do. The deadline to complete the Survey for selecting “in-person” or “100% Remote” options for the 2nd Quarter had been extended to Monday, September 28th. To verify or change your selection visit portal.dpsk12.org.
Reminder About Quarter-long Classes and Grades: While we are on a quarter system for classes at East, students are taking up to four classes and will receive a letter grade of A-D. Also while we are in the remote or hybrid school structures, “Incompletes” will take the place of “F” grades. First quarter classes will result in a semester worth of credit for learning through October 15th. 2nd Quarter classes will begin on Wednesday, October 21st.
We have developed a Course Completion program to help students recover credit from any courses where they earned a No Credit during the spring semester. For more information about this program please refer to the email version of Friday News at https://bit.ly/EHSCourseCompletion.
The first ELA PAC meeting has moved to Tuesday, October 13th at 6pm, and will still be virtual. More information regarding ELA and Instructions on how to access the meeting will be available on our website under the “Get involved”Tab on the homepage.
Health and Wellness
We’ve added information to our website about the resources and team at East regarding crises and health and wellness. Visit https://east.dpsk12.org/crisis-support/ and https://east.dpsk12.org/resources/wellness/ for more information.
East School-Based Health Center is open to all DPS students for both in-person and telehealth appointments for both new and existing patients. Health services are provided at NO COST to all DPS families! We now have Flu Shots! For in-person appointments, we are taking every precaution to keep our clinics clean and patients safe. Register now with our convenient eConsent link at https://www.denverhealth.org/services/school-based-health-centers!
Reminder to Encourage Your Families To Complete Meal Benefits Applications
- You may have heard the USDA has extended meal benefits waivers through Dec. 31, which means all students and Denver youth, 18 years and under, may receive free meals at various DPS schools and bus meal delivery sites. It is critical that we continue to encourage families to complete the school meal application by Oct. 1, because DPS receives Title 1 funding based on participation and families qualify for additional benefits, including free or reduced meals when this waiver expires. Each year a family must complete the application to qualify for the current school year.
College and Post Secondary Information
MaiaLearning is the new Naviance and each child has an account. Students can log in by going to their student portal, looking under the ‘Apps’ and clicking on the MaiaLearning App. On this web-site, students will find fantastic college tools and other resources. Students also have the option to invite their parents to join and this allows any communication sent out about college opportunities to be sent to both students and parents.
Looking for a way to get your child excited about College and their Post-Secondary plan? There are two upcoming College fairs taking place! A Virtual College Fair can be accessed at http://www.collegefairsdenver.org/ or the RMACAC Fair on October 14th at 6-8pm. Students can sign up at bit.ly/3msrhdL
Community Resources and Opportunities
YouthRoots, a national youth leadership nonprofit based in Denver, is excited to offer two programs for the 2020-2021 school year! Learn about both programs at http://youthroots.org/
The Colorado association of Black professional engineers and scientists will be offering a Math Enrichment Program and SAT/ACT College Preparatory courses online this Fall beginning on October 12. For more please visit the information visit the CABPES website at cabpes.org