The Shungu Sisters
Kacie and Karen Shungu are Denver East High School Angels – and African refugees – who have found nothing but love and support from their fellow students. “I always was embarrassed to get up and claim that I am a refugee. After the election… everyone at our school told us they needed us here.”
To hear their story click on: https://vimeo.com/200093525
On Thursday, January 19th from 8-11 am the Counseling Center (East Counselors and Denver Scholarship Foundation) will be hosting the annual College and Career Readiness Day for our seniors. On this day, we encourage and assist students that have yet to make plans and decisions about their next steps to success after leaving East High School. This year we have 16 colleges attending!! This event is a wonderful occasion and opportunity for seniors to learn more about their future options and even submit applications. Students will be called out of class to meet with the admissions representatives.
Player/Parent Meeting for ALL Spring Sports
Wednesday , February 15th @ 6:00 pm in the Auditorium
- Eligibility (NCAA, CHSAA and DPS)
- East Athletic Expectations
- Participation Paperwork – Lisa Smith will be available to take paperwork and distribute Athletic Clearance Cards (REQUIRED for tryouts)
- DU Sports Psych
- AND all other important athletic information will be shared.
School of Choice Begins January 5th 2017
DPS believes all students should have the same access to quality schools, regardless of their background or where they live in Denver. That’s what SchoolChoice is all about.
Any DPS student who wants to attend a school other than their automatically assigned neighborhood school can take part in SchoolChoice. (To determine your neighborhood school, go to schoolfinder.dpsk12.org).
Families submit one SchoolChoice form per student, on which they rank their students’ top five school preferences. DPS then matches students to schools based on those preferences, as well as school admission priorities and available space. The next SchoolChoice season takes place Jan. 5 to 4 p.m. on Jan. 31, 2017 for the 2017-18 school year.
Here’s how it works:
- Research: Learn more about schools in which you might be interested. Use the Great Schools Enrollment Guides, SchoolMatch and tour individual schools.
- Prioritize: Be ready to fill out the SchoolChoice form by ranking your top five most-preferred schools in order.
- Complete: Fill out the entire SchoolChoice form, including ranking your top five schools, when it becomes available on Jan. 5, 2017. Online submission is recommended and is available through a DPS Parent Portal account. Paper forms will be available at all DPS schools and at Choice and Enrollment offices. Printable forms will be available at schoolchoice.dpsk12.org.
- Submit: Turn in the signed and dated form by 4 p.m. on Jan. 31, 2017 online, at any school or the Choice offices. The DPS SchoolChoice system is designed to maximize the number of students who are placed in their most-preferred school. Letters and emails notifying families of their school placement will be sent in mid-March.
When you fill out the SchoolChoice form online, good things happen! It’s quicker and easier – no paper shuffle, and no delivering the form to a school or drop-off center. Plus, you’ll receive your student’s school assignment sooner. Make sure you have a Parent Portal account at myportal.dpsk12.org, and fill out the SchoolChoice form online beginning Jan. 5, 2017. The deadline to submit is 4 p.m. on Jan. 31, 2017.
All kindergarten through 12th-grade students are guaranteed a spot at their neighborhood boundary school. Students living within an enrollment zone are guaranteed a seat at one of the schools within the zone, not just at one particular school. To learn if you live in an enrollment zone, enter your address at schoolfinder.dpsk12.org.
-If you do not have a Denver Public Schools ID Number & will be Choicing into East
-Are new to the Denver Public Schools System
-Coming from a private school and reside within East boundaries
You need to do the Pre-Enrollment Process
Pre-Enrollment forms need to be filled out completely and returned to Mrs. Catbagan in room 229
Do you need your student records? You can now request them online at : https://denverco.scriborder.com/
Thank you so much for your interest in East High School. Unfortunately 8th Grade Shadowing at East High School is currently full. After increasing our shadowing appointment spots to be able to offer this opportunity to even more students, we have already reached our capacity. You may also email Bethany Goodman (9th grade counselor for students with last names L-Z) at to be added to the shadowing wait list. Please include your first and last name, your student’s name, middle school name, phone number, and email address in your email if you would like to be put on the wait list. Please know that we are already overfilled for shadowing and if any additional spots become available, she will contact you via email.
Thank you again for your interest in East! Go Angels!
If you need a NEW Parent Portal account please visit https://myportal.dpsk12.org, fill out the form and click on the orange “Create Account” button. You will be contacted by a Portal team member. Your request will take 5-7 business days by our district offices.
If parents need a password reset for the Portal please email John_AdamsIII@dpsk12.org or Doug_Bushnell@dpsk12.org. This is only for password resets and forgotten passwords. This is not for account set up.
Student accounts will be created automatically.
If students need help accessing their portal accounts, they should see Mr. Bushnell or Mr. Adams in room 230.
username = student ID#
password = 8 digit date of birth (2 for the month, 2 for the date, 4 for the year, ie 07052015)